Schools and institutions can be a great market for farms!
In this section, learn more about:
- Getting Started with Farm to School
- Resources for Farmers and Processors
- Markets to Consider
- School and Community Connections
- Risk Management and Food Safety
- Distribution Models
- Grants and Funding
- USDA Pilot Project for Procurement of Unprocessed Fruits & Vegetables
Schools around the state are interested in connecting with and purchasing from local farms. These may be great market opportunities for your farm. Schools can offer a steady market, medium and large volume sales, agreements for planning production, and competitive prices.
In addition to being a reliable market, schools are also a great way to get even more connected to your community. Selling to schools enables you to contribute directly to the improved health of Washington’s kids and share with them how their food is grown here in Washington.
The WSDA Farm to School Program can provide the following assistance and services to farms:
- Introductions and assistance in selling to school buyers, either directly or through existing supply chains.
- Working in partnership with farms and organizations around the state to explore options for processing and distribution.
- Providing trainings and workshops to help farmers expand their operations to school and other institutional markets.