Taste Washington Day 2014 - Wednesday, October 1st!
This year, Taste Washington Day is on Wednesday, October 1st. Check out the sample menus and recipes below, and on pages 20-21 of the WSNA Newsletter "Apple Press" Summer 2014 issue. There will be plenty of Washington bounty still strongly going early October, and local beef, pork, poultry, beans and/or fish will make a special lunch even more festive to celebrate the Washington's rich agriculture.
The WSDA Farm to School Program and the Washington School Nutrition Association (WSNA) partner to sponsor Taste Washington Day, an annual celebration of Washington grown foods served in school meals. Starting this year, WSNA and WSDA moved Taste Washington Day to early October.
Schools connect with local farms to make the most of our bountiful fall harvest, and use Taste Washington Day to kick-off the “Farm to School Month” (October).
Participating schools around the state engage in all sorts of ways including:
- Serving a locally-sourced meal
- Providing education and activities to recognize the region's agricultural bounty
- Inviting farmers to lunch
- Arranging school visits to area farms
- Connecting Future Farmers of America high school students with elementary students
Check out these sample menus for 2014 Taste Washington Day and additional promotional materials at the bottom of this page. We encourage you to adjust the menu to reflect seasonal availability of products grown on farms in your area. Last year schools reported serving carrots with the tops, fresh melons, cheese from a local creamery, beef from a local farmer (processed in a USDA approved facility) and fresh corn on the cob.
Sample Menu #1:
Sample Menu #2:
Sample Menu #3:
Sample Menu #4:
*Recipes can be found in the Washington State Schools “scratch cooking” Recipe Book by OSPI Child Nutrition Services. Follow the link to download a free copy. Also find "Taste Washington Day 2014 Recipes" further down on this page that lists the recipes for the menu items with *.
"Taste Washington Day offers our kids a chance to establish a deeper connection and develop a better understanding of our state's food system, from farm to fork and each step in between. The more opportunities our children have to learn about the people, time effort and resources necessary to turn a seed into a crop, the more they will appreciate the food on their plates. As the next generation, it will be up to them to continue our state's agricultural heritage and history."
Excerpted from the Congressional Record of the 111th Congress
introduced by Hon. Jay Inslee. September 29, 2010
[link to full text]
Wenatchee School District Taste Washington Day, Farmer Ken Toevs offers students roasted squash
Find out about ways to celebrate Taste Washington Day and get inspried by Taste Washington Day Success in Past Years
- Taste Washington Day 2014 Recipes
- TWD Template Signs - Customize these signs with pictures of the foods you are serving, print and post on salad bars, tray lines, etc.
- Taste Washington Day Booklet - 10 MB - Print and read this booklet to elementary-aged students. Thank you to our partners at Washington Sustainable Food & Farming Network for this resource!
- Apple Press Summer 2014 - 2 MB - Apple Press with TWD2014
- Grown in Washington Word Puzzle - Add a fun activity to your TWD celebration! Include this fun word puzzle in your menu back, newsletter etc. (Publisher)
- Carrot take-home recipe card - 256 KB - Print these half-page recipe cards for students to take home
- Chickpea take-home recipe card - 306 KB - Print these half-page recipe cards for students to take home
- Taste WA Day 2013 Menu Slick - Add your monthly, weekly or daily menu to this template
- Taste WA Day 2013 Table Tent - FACTS - Table tents with fun farm to school facts
- Taste WA Day 2013 Table Tent - FACTS - PDF - 189 KB - PDF version with farm to school facts
- Taste WA Day 2013 Menu Slick - PDF - 47 KB - PDF version to write in your Taste WA Day menu
- Taste WA Day 2013 Table Tent - General - Table Tents with general information about Taste WA Day
- Taste WA Day 2013 Table Tent - General - PDF - 207 KB - PDF version with general information about Taste WA Day
- Taste WA Day Table Tent - MENU - Add your menu and list of farms who grew food for your lunch!
- Taste WA Day 2013 Table Tent - MENU - PDF - 67 KB - PDF version to write in your menu, or place a sticker with your menu
- Taste WA Day 2012 Sample Menus & Recipes - 1 MB - Archived sample menus and recipes from TWD 2012
- Taste WA Day 2011 - Sample Menu - 293 KB - Sample menu and overview of Taste WA Day for 2011
- Taste Washington Day Report 2010 - 478 KB - Learn more about successes from Taste Washington Day 2010